Director of Finance and Administration
The Director of Finance and Administration oversees finance, budgeting, human resources, administration, and IT. The successful candidate will be a hands-on manager capable of playing a strong role on the senior leadership team in strategic decision making and operations as HFLS continues to grow in scope and impact. The Director of Finance and Administration reports to the Executive Director and supervises a staff accountant and IT coordinator.
This is a full-time position located in New York City. Competitive salary and benefits package.
- Analyze and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate monthly and annual financial statements; and oversee all financial, investments, project/program and grants accounting.
- Coordinate and lead the annual audit process, liaise with external auditors and staff the Audit committee of the Board of Directors; assess and implement any changes necessary.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with the ED; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and changes; and keep senior leadership team abreast of the organization’s financial status and staff the Finance Committee.
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
- Analyze lending trends and develop financial models to determine capital needs
- Oversee a robust loan management system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Update and ensure all necessary internal controls policies and accounting practices that reflect responsible fiscal management and compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Effectively communicate and present the critical financial matters to the ED and Board.
- Manage a line of credit program to mid-size organizations; perform due diligence and present to the responsible committee.
- Manage bank relationship, and different loan facilities
- Work with pro bono counsel on matters relating to contracts, leases, human resources, and other areas as needed.
Human Resources, Technology and Administration
- Oversee and further develop HFLS’s human resources and administration, enhancing professional development, compensation and benefits, performance evaluation, and recruiting.
- Develop and/or update organizational policies and procedures for effectiveness.
- Oversee the contracting process for the hiring of all consultants and business partnerships. Ensure compliance with all local, state, federal, and foreign regulations related to employees, interns, and contractors/consultants.
- Manage HFLS’s information technology function, including the protection of data. Manage external IT consultants and provide oversight and/or project management for sustaining or upgrading technology.
- Oversee other administrative functions as well as facilities to ensure efficient and consistent operations as the organization scales.
- Manage several scholarship funds; advise candidates, monitor budgets and awards, liaise with the funding organization, hire and supervise an intern to support the scholarship process, and serve as a member of the selection committee.
- A bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field; advanced degree a plus
- At least 8 years of overall professional experience; ideally several years of broad financial and operations management experience preferably in a nonprofit environment
- Demonstrated budgeting skills and solid experience in financial systems, with a strong knowledge of Nonprofit Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Technology savvy with experience selecting and overseeing software installations and managing relationships with software vendors; knowledge of accounting and reporting software (Quickbooks)
- The ideal candidate has experience of final responsibility for the quality and content of all financial data, reporting and audit preparation, and has preferably overseen a human resources function previously
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and problem solving skills which support and enable sound decision making
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- A multitasker with the ability to wear many hats in a fast-paced environment
- High energy and passion for HFLS’s mission
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Director of Finance and Administration” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.