Special Education Bridge Loan Overview

The Special Education Bridge Loan Program provides interest-free loans to low- and moderate-income residents of New York City’s five boroughs, Westchester, or Long Island to help them access appropriate special education for their special needs children.

The loans provide school tuition while the family awaits reimbursement or payment from the Department of Education. Loans are provided once a fully-executed stipulation (or a hearing decision) is obtained from the Department of Education. The loans are immediately repayable from the settlement or decision proceeds when such proceeds are received by the borrower’s attorney.

Loan Process

A completed, signed Application Form and a copy of your fully-executed stipulation of settlement or hearing decision are required to apply for a Special Education Bridge Loan. (Download the Application Form at the bottom of this page.)

You may email these documents to Special Education Program Coordinator Ivy Ip at iip@HFLS.org or via mail to Hebrew Free Loan Society, Attn: Ivy Ip, 675 Third Ave, Suite 1905, New York, NY 10017. You may also contact Ivy at (212) 706-0041 with any questions.

Once she receives your completed application and stipulation of settlement or hearing decision, Ivy will be in touch with any questions and to move the process forward.

Once the Coordinator has reviewed and approved your completed application form and stipulation of settlement or hearing decision, you will receive two documents:

  1. Parent Letter, two copies of which should be signed by you (and your spouse, if you are married).
  2. Promissory Note, to be signed by you (and your spouse, if you are married).

The Coordinator will also request copies of a government-issued photo ID that includes signatures, such as a driver’s license or U.S. passport, for you and your spouse.

In addition, your attorney and the school your child attends will each receive a document:

  1. Your attorney will receive an Attorney Letter for signature.
  2. The school that your child attends will receive a School Acknowledgement Letter for signature.

Once the signed final loan paperwork is received by the Coordinator, HFLS will issue a two-party check made out to you and the school. You will sign the check over to the school, and the school will deposit the check. In cases in which the HFLS loan is reimbursing you for tuition funds you have already laid out rather than paying the school for tuition you owe, the check will be made out only to you.

When the Department of Education sends reimbursement or payment as per the stipulation of settlement or hearing decision, the funds will be sent directly to HFLS from your attorney’s escrow account.

Required Forms Download